Homemade Pasta with Asparagus and Lemon
- 2 1/2 cups Gideon's Pasta 00 flour
- 2knobs of butter
- 4cloves garlic, slices
- 1lemon, long strips of lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3/4cup Foxenburg hard goat’s milk cheese, grated
- 2lemons, the juice
- 2bunches asparagus, trimmed and slices on a diagonal
- Place the flour onto a clean counter top and create a well in the center. Crack the eggs into the well and whisk them with a fork, add bits of flour into the eggs at a time before using your hands to bring the dough together. Kneed for a few minutes or until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once rested, divide the dough into two parts, cover the one you aren’t using so it doesn’t dry out. Press out the half you are using with your fingers. Set the pasta machine at its widest setting and roll the disc of dough through it.Lightly dust the pasta with flour. Put the machine down a setting and roll the dough through it again before folding the pasta in half and repeating by putting it through the widest setting and afterwards through the second widest setting. Repeat this process five times.
- Afterwards,work the dough through every setting on the machine, from widest to narrowest.Dust the dough with flour when needed.
- Once you’ve put it through every setting, fold it in half length ways, then fold it again and a third time until you end up with a square of dough. Turn it 90 degrees and roll it through every setting on the machine again.
- Repeat this process with the other half of the pasta dough. Then cut the spaghetti into 2 cm wide strips.
- Add the butter to a pan over medium-low heat. When the butter has melted, add in the garlic, lemon zest, chilli, and thyme and stir to combine. Cook the butternut til it browns, be careful not to burn it.
- Meanwhile,bring water to a boil in a small pot and add the asparagus. Let this cook for 1-2 minutes, until tender, and then drain away the water before pouring ice-cold water over the asparagus to stop it from overcooking.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and generously salt it. Place the spaghetti into the water and boil until al dente (around 3 minutes).
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the butter along with the parmesan and asparagus.Stir to combine. Serve with extra cheese, chilli flakes, and a few sprigs of thyme.