Spanspek Sorbet (without an ice cream maker!)
- 1.8kgspanspek cubes (between 1.5kg and 2kg)
- 1cupwhole light brown organic sugar OR 1/2 cup raw honey
- Make sure all of your spanspek cubes are free of skin and seeds.
- Place them in old ice cream containers or Tupperware and place them all in the freezer.
- Keep them in the freezer for 3 hours or so, or until they are frozen solid.
- In the mean time, take a saucepan and bring to a boil the water with the sugar.
- Bring the temperature down so that it starts simmering, and continue till the mixture starts thickening a little.
- Take off the heat, and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Remove your frozen spanspek cubes from the freezer.
- Take out your food blender, and start blending your frozen spanspek cubes in batches.
- Make sure they come out nice and smooth.
- Place all the raw spanspek sorbet in a large bowl.
- Slowly start mixing in your cooled down sugar syrup.
- Mix gently but well.
- Cover your sorbet and place it back in the freezer for about 30 minutes.